The Central Connecticut women’s soccer team took down Merrimack 5-0 on Sunday in North Andover, MA. Today marks the fourth straight shutout for the Blue Devils. Sophomore Roma McLaughlin scored two goals for the second time this season. Senior Yo Tachibana had her second goal in two games and senior Allyson O’Rourke posted one goal and two assists.
Score: Central Connecticut 5, Merrimack 0
Records: Central Connecticut (7-4-4, 5-1-1 NEC), Merrimack (3-11-0, 1-6-0 NEC)
Location: North Andover, MA
“It was great to pick up three points on the road and get another shutout. I was delighted to see so many different names on the scoresheet.”
- After 10 minutes of play, senior Yo Tachibana sent the ball up to senior Allyson O’Rourkewho found sophomore Roma McLaughlin who scored off her first shot of the match (10:10).
- Senior Brianna Williams scored her first goal of the season to give CCSU a 2-0 lead at half (20:03).
- Less than a minute into the second half, junior Jenna Rae Covello crossed the ball into the box to O’Rourke who sent the ball high over the keeper to extend the lead 3-0 (45:53).
- O’Rourke set up McLaughlin again in the box for the fourth goal of the afternoon (58:41).
- Sophomore Jamie Collimore scored the final goal of the match off a pass from Ashley Wright (85:27).
NUMBER TO KNOW
53 – Central scored its third goal of the game 53 seconds into the second half.
- Merrimack joined the Northeast Conference this year. Today’s match is the first ever meeting between the Blue Devils and Warriors.
- Today marks the fourth straight shutout for the Blue Devils. They have allowed just two goals in the past six matches.
- Tachibana scored her second goal in two games. This is the second time this season McLaughlin has tallied twice in one match.
- O’Rourke is second on the team in scoring with five goals. McLaughlin leads the team with nine.
- Head coach Mick D’Arcy is one win away from his 200th career win with the Blue Devils.
Women’s soccer plays its final two home matches starting with Robert Morris on Friday, Oct. 25 at noon. Central will honor its seniors in the final home game on Sunday, Oct. 27 against Saint Francis U. at noon.