The Central Connecticut women’s soccer team took down Wagner 3-0 Friday afternoon in New Britain, CT. Sophomore Roma McLaughlin scored two goals to lead the Blue Devil offense, while classmate Amanda McQuillan posted the shutout in the net. Rookie Ashley Wright scored her first collegiate goal midway through the second half.
Score: Central Connecticut 3, Wagner 0
Records: Central Connecticut (5-4-4, 3-1-1 NEC) , Wagner (4-8-1, 2-2-1 NEC)
Location: CCSU Soccer Field – New Britain, CT
“I’m delighted with the result today. The combination of difficult weather and a spirited, well coached Wagner team made it very difficult to play. Under the circumstances I thought we did really well. Very happy to see Roma add two more goals and thrilled to see two freshmen combine for the third goal.”
- Junior Jenna Rae Covello got deep into the box and gave a touch pass to sophomore Roma McLaughlin to open scoring (12:20).
- McLaughlin scored her second goal of the match capitalizing on a penalty kick putting Central ahead 2-0 (16:25).
- Freshman Giavanna Inzerillo passed to classmate Ashley Wright who sent the ball passed the keeper for her first collegiate goal (72:07).
NUMBER TO KNOW
3 – Today marks the third straight shutout in New Britain for Central.
- The team has won two games in a row and the past three home matches.
- Central has won the last seven meetings against Wagner.
- Wright becomes the 11th Blue Devil to score a goal this year.
- McLaughlin leads the team with seven goals this season.
- Head Coach Mick D’Arcy is three wins away from his 200th win at Central.
The Central Connecticut women’s soccer team is off for a week before hosting LIU on Friday, Oct. 18 at 6 p.m. in New Britain, CT.